Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sunday 17th December 2006. Sydney, Australia.

Today I arrive in one of only two developed countries in the World not to have ratified the Kyoto Protocol.

From 30,000 ft my first view of Australia draws me across the plains to the red horizon as the sun is coming up.

My arrival in Sydney was a dream as I was met at the airport by mi old mate Ben Terrell and his Dad and headed out to my base for the next two months in Wahroonga in Sydney's North Shore.

We took the scenic route home and I enjoyed my first ever drive across the Harbour Bridge. After morning coffee in the garden it was off into town to explore. Taking the train we stopped just short of the bridge in order for me to have the experience of walking across the bridge before we headed down into the historic Rocks area of the city (where both the city of Sydney and modern Australia were founded) to explore the street markets.

It was here at The Mercantile that Ben and I enjoyed our first VB (Lizzie look out!!); that's Australia's famous Victoria Bitter.

Our tour took us on to the Customs House building in the harbour. This stunning grand old building of the colonial era was used by the customs department from 1845 - 1990 and it is now an art and restaurant complex. Australia's first collector of customs was appointed in 1827 and the building itself sits on the site where the local Eora people watched the First Fleet land and raise the British flag in 1788.

We took a Syndey Ferries boat across the harbour to Manly passing many of the cities icons on the way.

Lunch was meat and beer at the Ivanhoe of Manly where we met a lovely Welsh lady who came to Australia on holday 32 years ago and simply stayed. This afternoon we spent on Manly Beach just taking in the atmosphere before taking the ferry back to the city and this time taking the train across the Harbour Bridge on our way home for a traditional Aussie barbie with the family Terrell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home