Monday, December 11, 2006

From Scotland to the Far East.

Well I have arrived safely in Singapore at my rather basic hotel. I am in awe of the city and I am only just here.

I have always been fascinated by Britain's inperial history from the role of the 'public' school to the trading posts of the East India Company and everything in-between. Singapore is the latest stop on my project route, but for me personally it is my latest interaction with the history of my nation and I am loving it.

I spent the layover in Frankfurt with two wonderful Australian ladies, Melissa and Janet whom I met enroute from London. They were kind enough to ask me to join them in the first class lounge which also meant that I got to pre-board before anyone else in economy. I was also lucky enough to be given a bulkhead seat in premier economy for what proved to be a very enjoyable flight.

My taxi driver, Thomas, was a star giving me the locals perspective on the 'must see's'. I am exhausted after my flights from Glasgow to London to Frankfurt to Singapore: but a quick wash and change and its time to eat.

Appropriately I dined at the very elegant Rivercafé on the banks of Robertson Quay. The restaurant is housed in a beautifully restored 1920's warehouse alongside the Singapore river and it serves Australian style food...next stop on my travels!

Reggie, my waiter, was such a warm, friendly and interesting dude. The food was delicious and sumptuous and the elegance set off by the 1930's soundtrack playing softly in the background.

It was a fitting way to begin my journey in Singapore, the fourth and last of the cities of my Papa's youth (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Peking and Singapore) that I had to visit on my pilgrimage to Papa. I am sure it is very different to his life here in the 1930's but the one thing that is unmistakable is the warmth of the Asian people that envelopes you everytime you come to this part of the world. I love the Far East and so I am biased, but I am so very glad to be here and on this leg of my project!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home