Sunday, August 13, 2006

Quito to Papallacta Hot Springs. Sunday 13th August 2006.

This morning I am taking it easy, chilling out at my hotel and reading my book. We are scheduled to leave for Papallacta Hot Springs at around 1 O'clock.

Our journey by local bus takes us up through the heights of the Andes en route to the Amazon. The bus station in Quito is a colourfully chaotic place where child labour laws have yet to have an impact. There are children, and adults, clambouring along bus roofs and loading luggage...they are still clinging to buses and loading and unloading as the buses make off on their journey.

On our journey we are subjected to stereotypical latino music and a very poor quality soap opera of a movie. I am travelling with a like-minded group of individuals...teachers, lawyers, scientists...and all are taking notes as we journey along.

Climbing through the mountain valleys the peeks are reminiscent of the Trossachs. It gets colder as we climb...and Andrea advises you all never to travel on the back seat. It is very bumpy on the dirt mountain road into Papallacta...or there is always the quick route down the side of the mountain.

Papallacta is a village that sits some 37 miles south east of Quito, over the Andes and on the outer rim of the Amazon Basin. This small village is surrounded by cloud forest and it lies on the road between the Highlands and the Oriente. It is claimed that Papallacta has the best thermal springs in Ecudaor and we jump into the back of an old Ford pick-up for our journey up to the springs.

What fascinates me when we get to Papallacta is that there are guards on the gates. Once inside there can be no doubt that this resort is designed for the tourist, and I realise that the guards may be representative of local unhappiness at the excess of Western tourism?

Tonight I am very tired. I am sure that this is due in part to the altitude, at 3330 metres above sea level. Generally in Quito the altitude seemed not to affect me that much. Quito is the worlds second highest capital city at some 2850 metres above sea level. I am also suffering from my first upset stomach, despite being generally careful with my diet.

In my tour group I have met two British girls. Caroline is from Kingston and so she is a near neighbour of mine in Surrey and Andrea is from Leeds. Caroline is also the second person I have met from Kingston in the last two weeks.

We dine this evening at the resort and after time in the hot springs we end our evening in the bar.

A lesson we are to learn the next morning is don't charge to your room as they try to charge again and again for the same drinks...pay cash!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home