Monday, August 07, 2006

São Paulo. Brazil. Monday August 7th 2006

It is a rather strange morning this morning.

I have been advised to stay in my hotel as I am told that "the bandits are attacking the City, just like last month".

I cannot tell you if this is true. I saw no sign of such unacceptable behaviour last night or indeed this morning when I have been out and about since before 7am.

Outside in the street life seems normal and people are going about their business. There is no sense of panic. I will continue with work on my website and wait to see what happens. If groups are attempting to terrorise this City, I am sure from what I have seen they will not succeed.

São Paulo is a welcoming city of strong communities and I am looking forward to visiting schools and addressing a group of Buisnessmen and women this evening.


**********

As is often the case in life, people like to make more of an issue than is the reality. There was simply some minor localised trouble somewhere in São Paulo...but people love to blow it out of proportion...so back to reality...

This morning I travel across town to a residential district to speak to students at the
Colégio CEB (Centro Educacional Brandão). Again the students are wonderful. I have a full tour of the school, I learn from the staff about the educational philosophy and I get to interact with a great bunch of young people who grow in confidence as our time goes on.

And as for school lunch...all I will say is that we have a lot to learn in our school catering in the UK.

This is one factor you have to note about São Paulo. Not only can you eat from any cuisine in the world but the food is of an exceptionally high quality.

Tonight I deliver my final lecture of this segment of the project to a packed venue of business people at The Club. I am talking about the Role of English in Business, Cultural Awareness and the Nuances of Language in the context of business theory.

Again the lecture is well received and the audience are reluctant to leave.

I have just arrived back at the hotel and it is 10.20pm. I need to pack and get some sleep as I am up at 3am for my long flight to Ecuador.

I have had a great time in São Paulo and cannot wait to return in December.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home