Friday, July 07, 2006

Barcelona. July 2006

BARCELONA, SPAIN. July 3rd- July 6th 2006

My time in Barcelona has been much more than a test run for my forthcoming project, it has been a genuinely wonderful way in which to end my five years as a teacher and Housemaster in a Surrey boarding school.

I will miss the many friends I have made during this time and I will particularly miss my students, all of whom I wish the very greatest of success for the future!

It has been deeply moving that so many students have said their heartfelt goodbyes, not only at my current school; but from all my previous teaching experiences...already the e-mails are pouring in and I have not yet left Europe.

The cultural highlight of our time in Barcelona has been the Temple de la Sagrada Familia, the unique and ongoing construction project of Antoni Gaudi.

What few people realise however is that Gaudi was appointed to this construction project a year after work began in 1882, working as project director for the next 44 years until he died in 1926.
The Parc Guell must be one of the most psychedelic experiences one can have in a park...at least legally!!!! Go sit on the worlds' longest bench and just chill out amongst a Master's creations.

If you are planning a trip to Barcelona then I can recommend to you the Mare de Deu de Montserrat Youth Hostel on the Passeig Mare de Deu del Coll. This is one of the best quality youth hostels I have ever stayed in and once you negotiate the steep drive, you will arrive at a traditional Spanish Villa concealing the most amasing entrance hall of Moorish style tiles and decoration...well worth the climb!

If you are travelling with children, a must is El Poble Espanyol. This reconstruction of Spain's villages was created for the 1929 Barcelona World's Fair and contains a total of 116 buildings set around traditional streets and squares. Fully enclosed and with a security staff your children can roam free amongst an authentic representation of Spain's regions. Visit the arts and crafts workshops, or simply sit awhile and watch the street life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home