Monday, October 30, 2006

Friday 27th October 2006. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I am getting into the swing of being collected for work by Irene and we meet, as usual, outside my hotel at 8.30 am.

This morning I am heading into downtown Rio after I spend sometime updating the blog.

My first stop is Cinelandia, the cities central square. Jorge and I head into the National Library to view the building and then its on to the Fine Arts Museum.

Life really hasn't changed that much. The division of rich and poor, so evident in the paintings that adorn these walls, is all too evident in the streets that surround me.

On top of the Santo Antonio hill lies the Santo Antonio Convent home to the oldest church in Rio.

After my morning in the city centre we head to Rua Gonçalves Dias and lunch at Confeitaria Colombo. A landmark of old Rio this restaurant was built in 1894 and from its Belgian crystal mirrors to its straw chairs it retains a feel of days gone by.

After my lecture at the Cultura Inglesa Adult Centre I head up into the mountains through the lush green landscape that surrounds Rio to the former Imperial summer retreat of Petrópolis.

It is certainly much cooler as we climb and it is evident why the royal family chose this location to escape the summer heat of Rio.

On our drive into the mountains we stop for Agua de Coco (coconut water). It is most refreshing!

In Petrópolis we head for the Museu Imperial which remains a timewarp of the period when the royal family transferred from Brazil to a life in exile. Highlights include the Coronation Coach of Dom Pedro II and the Wedding Coach of Dom Pedro I.

However for me, the highlight was when I learned the true history of the charm bracelet.

In the days of slavery, good slaves were rewarded with a charm each year by their owner. Eventually, when your loyalty had left you with enough gold or silver, you could use this to buy your freedom; an early form of share-options scheme I think?

The museum is also hosting an exhibition at present to Santos Dumont, the inventor of the wristwatch and father of flight. This exhibition celebrates his first flight 100 years ago this month.

From the museum I head to the Catedral São Pedro de Alcântara, home to the Imperial tomb of Brazil's last Emperor. It is a very beautiful building with the feel of a large parish church rather than a cathedral.

This evening I deliver a Global Citizenship lecture in Petrópolis before returning to Rio.

Tonight I hit the money issue again. At the restaurants surrounding my hotel, there is a refusal to accept my credit card. It is visa and they all claim to accept visa, but I am told that they do not recognise the bank. Rejected even by McDonald's I return to the hotel, where the restaurant is now closed and dine on packets of peanuts from the mini-bar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home