Thursday, January 25, 2007

Wednesday 24th January 2007. The Great Barrier Reef.

Up and out early and we head for the Passions of Paradise to cruise the reef on this catamaran. Matt and Alice are back and we are family again!!

At 2.300km long the Great Barrier Reef is about the same size as Japan and it is the worlds' largest structure made purely of living organisms. Made entirely from hard and soft coral there is no rock or stone etc. Possibly the most amazing things I saw from my glass bottom boat tour were the honeycombed coral and the giant clam.

Leg Update...I am still not able to go into the sea and so I have to enjoy the dry activities. The fish feed is brilliant as huge numbers of fish and reef sharks appear cutting through the water in spectacular formation...what a privilege to see!!

There are actually 125 different species of shark here on the reef and around 40,000 birds here on Michelmas Cay where we land to enjoy nature at its very best.

Today it is scorching hot and my feet burn as I walk around the deck.

Back to the hotel and Jen creates quite the feast with nibbles and pates and cheeses and we have a great night with the whole team around the pool.

My aversion to water is over and I am in the pool with the crew fully clothed...yet another fun filled night with Bo and Mel providing plenty updates to keep us all talking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home