Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sunday 21st January 2007. Long Island. The Whitsundays.

Well when it rains it this country it really rains. What a tropical thunderstorm we are having and today I am off on Ragamuffin to sail in the Whitsunday Islands.

Maxi Ragamuffin is arguably one of the most famous yachts in Australia. Launched in 1979 by Kelly and Haugh in Mona Vale, Sydney she was built as Bumblebee 4 for Sydney yachtsman John Kahlbetzer. As the worlds' state of the art maxi yacht she entered the 1979 Sydney to Hobart taking a convincing line honours victory. As Ragamuffin she repeated this feat in 1988 and 1990 along with 2nd place in 1986 and 3rd places in 1985 and 1989. From her eight starts in this race she took a total of six placings.

Her racing credentials though stretch worldwide including the Long Island Sound Series; New York Yacht Club Series; Greenwich to Newport; Mediterranean Maxi Championships; World Cup; Middle Sea and Southern Ocean Racing Conference.

Maxi Ragamuffin remains to this day Australia's most successful maxi sailing yacht and today we are destined for Whitehaven Beach that idyllic spot of 6.7km of pure white sands under what turn out to be blue skies as I sit along emerald shores.

I am so lucky. Phil has been adopted as my official carer and he and Matt ensure that I am carried from the tender to the beach and back again in order that we follow doctors orders and keep my foot dry.

Back at the resort the weather has again taken a turn for the worst but the fun continues. Tonight Jen and Caroline have arranged a special birthday surprise and I am presented at dinner with my 50th birthday presents...one of which is that I will open the evening's Karaoke in the bar...well once I started it was hard to get the mic back and I sung my little heart out.

Leg Update...The bottom wound is now quite deep and the spreading of the infection has really led to a swollen leg.

Despite all my problems as I journey and the continuing issues I am facing in dealing with past events I must address the educational topic of reverting to type.

I am happier on this tour than ever. The group are great and so supportive and I have to wonder at the fact that this is almost exclusively a European group and indeed within that division we are a mainly British group. It is very comforting for me that everyone is from parts of the country I know well...Maybe there is a psychological aspect to travel and feelings of comfort from what you know? That said we also have Australians, Canadians and American travellers and dear Heather is the greatest advert for the USA you could ever meet!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home