Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Wednesday 1st November 2006. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I am getting to see lots of life in Brazil. Elections on Sunday and on our drive in this morning I note that the cemetery of São João Batista is awash with flower sellers in preparation for tomorrows public holiday that they translate here as the day of the dead. As a Catholic country All Souls day is a public holiday and an important celebration of our deceased family members.

I have been really busy with the project today and since our partners in both Argentina and Chile have pulled out of the project, I am left trying to make last minute arrangements for both countries. It seems that this is another challenge I have to face, being thousands of miles from home and now stranded without partners or accommodation.

However, as my dear friend Ann reminded me. I am used to sorting out other peoples dilemmas for them, so pretend its a mate you are helping and get on with it!

I have a snack lunch in the office before heading out to deliver my final Rio lecture in Tijuca.

I am also presented with the fact that there are major air delays all across Brazil due to an air traffic control dispute following the recent fatal aircrash in the jungle.

So I must get on with sorting out my life to make sure I am prepared for tomorrow.

I have a lovely final evening in Rio with Jorge and I would like to formally extend my thanks to the Cultura Inglesa in Rio and the ESU in Brazil for a warm, friendly and genuinely supportive welcome and stay.

We dine tonight at Botequim in Botafogo and we finish with a cachaça, the liqueur that is the base of caipirinha.

My final evening is made all the more pleasant as I enjoy a delightful conversation on my ride home with Ceasar my taxi driver.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 01, 2006 1:47:00 PM, Blogger infostall said...

good work dude. keep it up.

--RAJ
http://infostall.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home