Thursday, November 02, 2006

Thursday 2nd November 2006. From Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires.

Up early and on today for Argentina and Buenos Aires. I am getting to see all Rio has to offer as it even rains for me this morning to show that the sun does not always shine at Copacabana.

After a two hour flight delay we are off.

Onboard I am to share delightful company. The young lady across the aisle engages me in conversation. She looks like a movie star and in fact she is from Niterói. Claudia is heading down to the Argentine capital for a long weekend.

I am also treated exceptionally well by the two very pretty air-hostesses who are in charge of my cabin section.

It turns out that Rowena Vignolo actually has a grandmother from Aberdeen whose surname is McClough. I have a really nice time chatting with the girls and getting a locals view on Argentina.

Before we take our seats for landing the girls give me a large bottle of Argentinian wine as a welcome gift to their country...I think I´m going to like it here!!

My taxi ride from the airport is a treat. Walter, my driver is a really nice young chap and he is keen to chat the whole way from the airport. As we near the city he wants me to see the Presidential Palace. I have no cash and so cannot afford to take a city tour...but he means that if I am willing to go off my route he just wants me to see a little of his city...so off we go.

After checking into the Art Deco Hotel I decide to explore the immediate area. I also need to find a cashpoint.

Buenos Aires has a very strong European air. The city just feels safe with all its blend of history and modernity and its cafe society of pavement cafes.

Tonight I get my first sight of the Obelisco, which dominates the Avenue 9 de Julio.

Although the city is very beautiful, poverty is a major problem. Two children approach me near McDonald´s (just after I have come from the cashpoint). They ask for food. They look so dirty and so hungry. I can´t help myself. I take them inside and buy them both a meal which brings huge smiles to their faces as I head out the door leaving them to enjoy their supper.

I find out later that my postcard from the Galapagos arrived in Scotland today. That is to say, the postcard I left in the post office barrel. The card was collected by a lady from Glasgow and delivered home to my parents before the card that I actually posted in the regular mail, which still has not arrived!

1 Comments:

At Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:58:00 PM, Blogger Jose Canciani said...

You did the right thing buying them a supper. Most of those kids just ask for money which they later gave their "bosses", and this guys don't help them... They served them better being unclean and looking hungry.

On the other hand, I hope you enjoyed Buenos Aires girls!!! They are the most beautiful of the world! (I like to think ;)

Marco.
http://girlsofbuenosaires.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home