Friday, March 16, 2007

St Patrick's Day. Christchurch. New Zealand.

Breakfast this morning is at Bean Scene with Judy, Wendy, Christie and Paul before we taking a walk around Christ's College (New Zealand's Eton).

Today we are to take to the river. The River Avon has been central to life in the city since its foundation. Indeed, in 1876 after years of debate and public demand the City Council built some municipal baths on the river. A deep channel was dredged with the completed swimming pool some 45m long, around 15m wide and up to 2.7 metres deep in places. An iron fence two metres high was erected to screen the bathers from public view and the baths were a popular place until they were closed in 1886.

We are off to punt in the park allowing ourselves to be transported back in time to an elegant era when the pace of life was more peaceful. We float downstream from the historic Antigua Boatsheds through the botanic gardens in and out of the dappled shadows of the willow trees.

We then head off to enjoy the street performers at the Arts Centre before Paul and I take a bus tour of the city...

Then its off to the Warner Hotel for the Big Day In Party a huge St Patrick's Day celebration where Paul and I sing our hearts out!!

After meeting with my new group I invite them to join me and my mates for dinner at Sticky Fingers on Oxford Terrace...it was a nice way to break the ice.

Just for old times sake we end up in Vic and Whale...Paul, Judy, Christie, Trish, Laura, Susanne, Alex and I...and for old times sake, Paul and I are the last to leave!!

Tonight I spoke to my Mum to wish her a Happy Mother's Day.

Oh and by the way...remember that Scott of the Antarctic statue...well on 17th March 1912, Lawrence Oates, the English polar explorer on Robert Scott's doomed expedition left his tent on his 32nd birthday saying..."I am just going outside and may be some time"...he never returned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home