Saturday, March 03, 2007

Saturday 24th February 2007. Hahei to Lake Rotoiti and the Marae Stay.

Up and out early to catch Hot Water Beach at low tide. Standing on the sand you can easily burn your feet as the water bubbles up under foot. We dig out a pool and enjoy a natural spa before moving on to Ferry Landing and Shakespeare Cliff where we climb to the trig point and look out over Mercury Bay.

It was in this bay that HMS Endeavour anchored from 5th to 15th November 1769 with Lieutenant James Cook RN as commander. In the bay Cook observed the Transit of Mercury and thus named the bay accordingly.

From here our next stop is the memorial in Cooks Bay at the spot where on 10th November 1769 James Cook and Charles Green observed the Transit of Mercury to determine the longitude of the bay. Fresh water was collected from a steam nearby at the mouth of the Purangi River.

On our drive we stop off at a kiwi farm to see the fruits (which are harvested between April and June) growing on the vines. It will surprise you to know that kiwi fruit are not native to New Zealand. In 1921 Chinese Gooseberries or Monkey Fruit seeds were first brought to the country and as the result of grafting kiwi fruit were created.

Lunch was at the L&P Café in Paeroa the original home of New Zealand’s soft drink!

This afternoon it is back to extreme sports when I go Zorbing. A Zorb is a transparent bio-spherical rapid descent device and I had a blast jumping in to the water and rolling down hill at speed with Trish and Laura…bashing ourselves all the way!

Into Rotorua and Kuirau Park a geothermal park with steam literally rising straight out of the ground. Ever since the Maori and the Pakeha have lived in the area they have enjoyed the hot pools of Kuirau Park. During the 1930’s local women would take their wash boards and do their washing in a hot water stream called Kaikoura. After a drive through the beautiful Government Gardens we head out to Tapuaekura for our Marae stay. Here we are on a traditional Maori Marae and I as Chief of my clan get to participate fully in a Wero (a challenge by a warrior which I accept on behalf of my people). This is the first time I have ever rubbed noses in welcome but I love my role as the Chief and I am grateful to the group for choosing me.

We are then welcomed and I lead my people into the Wharenui (ancestral house) to participate in a Powhiri or welcome ceremony. We reciprocate performing our song “You are my sunshine” and attend a Maori cultural performance. We dine tonight on a Hangi feast in the Wharekai or dining room. This is the first time I have heard grace said in Maori and after dinner I sleep with Judy, Wendy and Thomas in the Wharenui.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home