Monday, April 16, 2007

Saturday 14th April 2007. Christchurch, New Zealand.

I began my day with a haircut from my good friend Gabe McCobb. He only does exclusive clients now and whats more I got my haircut as a gift...what a guy and what a hairdo. Christchurch's top hairdresser has given me the best haircut I have ever had, he made such a good job you could even argue that it would be worth flying to New Zealand for a haircut if that wasn't so extreme. That said if you are going to be in town I'll put you in touch.

I then spent a great morning with Gabe and Alex (his German mate)before we headed off into town to explore Lichfield Lanes where Christchurch's once dingy back alleys are getting a makeover and are becoming gentrified. I must say it is all being done very well and very arthouse.

After drinks at The Excelsior I had my first bulls eye from the British candy shop along with some toffee bon-bons.

Later in the day we met Steve for drinks at The Bohemian on Cambridge Terrace before Gabe and I dined at Nancy Ave Fish and Chip shop in St Albans.

Tonight I am attending Christchurch Symphony and Falling in Love Again. For a horrible 70's building it is an amazing auditorium and what a performance. The symphony was outstanding and as for Marlene Dietrich well
...Jennifer Ward-Lealand at times approached one of the twentieth century's great entertainment legends...but she didn't have the husky voice, her stage presence (though nice) was not seductive...really she was more Grace Kelly than Dietrich - that said it was a very enjoyable evening.

I am truly starting to feel that I am back where I belong. Its a Saturday night and I am at the symphony, my old school chum Stephen would be proud.

For a modern venue the Town Hall organ looks superb (I wish I could have gotten to hear it though), but I did get to sit with two lovely old ladies (one of whoms father is an old boy of Dulwich College, a school I know very well).

I am pleased also to see that people still dress for the symphony here in Christchurch.

Waiting again for the bus I take Gabe's advice and have myself my first ever Moro bar. It is New Zealand's equivalent of the Mars Bar and it was excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home